First week in Peru!

Peru is the first country in our 35 days tour through South America. But first, we had two days to visit the capital city Lima by ourselfs. We decided to continue our “slow” mode and see a couple of the main tourist attraction.

Basílica Catedral de Lima. Monestary of San Francisco. Fish eating fish at Alfresco!

After two days of exploring Lima on our own, we said good bye to good hotels, flights and relaxing days, only to say hello to hostels, buses and adventures. Together with the rest of the group we headed south. First stop, after a 5-6hrs of travelling (yes, with bus), was Paracas, an old fishing village that has become a popular tourist destination. Just outside of town, there was a Pisco distillery where we stopped for some tasting. Pisco is a liquor that is produced by grapes. We are no big drinkers, however, one of few alcoholic drinks we actually enjoy is pisco sour.

View from our room. Paracas harbour when sun sets.

Pisco-tasting! Snack time on the bus!

The next day, we headed to Huacachina, the only desert oasis in South America, to try some dune buggies and sandboarding. It was loads of fun, and we got incredibly sandy. Lesson learned from this day is to not wear flip flop in the desert… Upside: No sand in our sneakers!

Sand princess.Sandboarding crew and some of our tour companions. The oasis in Huacahina. Sunset on our way to Nazca.

Late at night, we arrived to Nazca, and enjoyed a traditional Peruvian barbeque where the food is cooked under ground with hot stones. After that, we fell asleep like babies after a long day. Early morning, we took a small airplane to see the Nazca lines, a group of geoglyphs etched into desert sands by indigenous people. Nobody know for sure the reason behind these geoglyphs, but current belief is that the indigenous people made symbols associated with water to their gods. Given it’s among the top driest places on earth, it makes a lot of sense. Another well-known hypothesise is that it is the world’s largest calendar. Some say it is both.

All good until 10 min in to the flight when the motion sickness started to kick in. It was still worth it though, and we got to see all the lines that have stayed the same for over hundreds of years. No maintenance needed! Pretty awesome if you ask us.

Two excited lamas in the very small aircraft. Monkey. Hummingbird. Spider. Heron, the longest of all Nazca lines with a total of 285m.

A roadbump on our trip, pun intended. Apparently there is a strike in Arequipa, our next destination, where trucks are blocking the entrance. So instead of cosying up in a 10hrs night bus, we got to wait 24hrs to catch a night bus directly to Cusco instead. It’s going to take 17hrs in windy mountain roads to get there. Wish us luck!